Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Cars and Me

Warning: graphic injury pictures below.


...we are not getting along lately. That cut just above my lip is much deeper than it looks. G. found it quite worrisome at first.





What happened is that while I was opening my car door, a gust of wind came and blew the door into my mouth, slamming my lip against my teeth. Hard. This was it before it started swelling.

This happened a couple days ago, during the same month that:

  • I lost my car keys on Beacon Street in Boston-- apparently, for good-- and was stuck there with G. and the kids and no way to go home for several hours.

  • The engine light went on in one of our cars, inexplicably for two days.

  • A tire blew on one of our other cars while G. and the kids were driving to NY (thank goodness they arrived at the side of the road safely)...then...

  • the car wouldn't start again after G. had a donut (spare) tire put on it.

  • The van's whirring sound grew louder.

I don't know that I really believe in divine messages ("signs"), but if they exist, this could be one. I'm gearing up for going as car-free as I can in this city. I know it won't be like back in Seattle, where G. and I happily and intentionally went totally car-free (sold our cars and got right out of that business!). But I am really going to try to do what I can.

1 comment:

sf said...

No more cars. No more cars. No more cars.