Friday, June 6, 2008

Survival International

I learned today of an organization called Survival International. Thought a link worth sharing, and some (warning: very unsettling) videos:

http://www.survival-international.org/





The other day on NPR I listened to a political forum on the Diane Rehm show in which one speaker argued against the very notion that global warming even exists. If one can't get behind the need to reduce overtaxing natural resources for environmental reasons, surely the prevention and end to genocide might be a motivator???

That said, the idea of "uncontacted" people is a misnomer, and ethnocentric. The language isn't particularly helpful. However, I am finding a lot of the videos on the Survival International website itself interesting and more helpful. Right now I am watching one called "From the Kalahari to Court." I recommend it.

1 comment:

sf said...

Okay to make text a link, select the text, then click on the little linkie thingie icon, then fill the url into the drop down box. If it don't work, call me and I'll walk you through ---
xxo