Thursday, February 26, 2009

Random Legalizing Our Marriage Ideas

At our renewal of our vows when G. and I get legally hitched, I think we should say a family vow too. I think the kids should be allowed to run freely on the beach during the ceremony, but that we should try to call them back for our family vow. And we should do a blessing of our rings-- perhaps in silence with our hands over them -- a symbol of our love and commitment. And bless sturdy but beautiful anklets we make for the kids too, and give them their anklets as a special gift. We should have four anklets, though, and bless the two for children not yet here. I think we should burn our regrets and send them afloat in the water so that they may be purified and made right again with this crazy wild and big universe.

I think our ceremony/ritual should be relaxed and intimate and follow its own rhythm. I think we should basically just exist in our own little world in those moments.

I keep thinking of the fertility ritual from the movie Chutney Popcorn, and the beauty of just being present with the power of our own hearts.

By the way, if you all haven't seen this yet, you should, because everybody should be so lucky.

6 comments:

seppie said...

Sounds so lovely...and (but?) I need to talk to you about dates. I will prolly know more for sure after this weekend.

Masasa said...

What do you mean?

Do you mean you need to talk to me about dates for your wedding?

Masasa said...

P.S. I hope you got the message that Karl Lagerfeld is a murderer ;-).

seppie said...

Yes! I know that Karl Lagerfeld is a murderer! And Yes! I meant dates for our wedding! As of last night, we are officially engaged! Wedding will be June 6th, which might be sucky timing for you (and short notice, I know) but we had to plan it around the time that Will could take his vacation...

Masasa said...

June 6th may not be at all possible, as I am preaching on June 7th for "RE Sunday" (which is sucky timing in and of itself). Will do anything I can to be there, goodness knows, but hmmm.

seppie said...

Yeah, sorry about the timing AND the late notice. We actually talked about this weekend months ago (Will had to request his vacation back in November) but then weren't sure if we were actually getting married, or if we did whether it would be this summer or some later date. Then Will got over his cold feet, and we talked about putting it off 'til later, but there are practical reasons for wanting to do it right away. So...I would love, love, love for you guys to be able to come (or any portion of your family) but totally understand if you can't. I seriously commented here within hours of figuring out the date, because I know it's coming up fast...