Friday, November 21, 2008

Plan B

I am really worried about the economy and the security of my job. We had our monthly staff meeting yesterday, and things are not looking good. I am the last person to be hired here, and it is possible that this fact will influence me in being the first to go.

I've never been in such a position, and am completely ignorant. The scary thing is that we used up all of our savings during our move a little over a year ago when I came out for the job (my employer paid for a goodly sum of the move, except that the move went all wrong for a number of reasons including the economy and the struggle to sell our house...so things went haywire). I had hoped we'd have time to rebuild our savings, but we haven't...and that was a lot of money.

G. is starting to look for jobs, but she needs one anyway, even if my job continues to be secure. Despite this, her earning potential is relatively modest. Either way, until she finds a job, I am the sole bread-winner of the family.

I am praying hard and visualizing things working out. But what if they don't? I think it is time for me to do some prep, just in case.

If my employer decides to reduce my salary instead of lay me off, I may need to ask to either be fired (if they aren't satisfied with my work) or laid off (if the issue is truly just the money). My family is already stretched as thinly as we can be. We have a very, very modest budget. We simply couldn't make a lower salary stretch to fit, and this wasn't the agreement I had with my employer when I made the decision to move for this job.

Before I decide what my reaction should be if my salary is cut (which is only one of several potential scenarios...they might also just lay me off or fire me), I need to know if it makes a difference in terms of unemployment whether one is fired or laid off. I also need to know how much unemployment I would be able to collect (assuming I am looking for new work, which I will be) and for how long. And finally, I need to know how long it would take for the checks to kick in. Seems I have some research to do.

I'll keep you posted if I learn anything interesting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. I know how scary the economy is. My husband earns our sole income, and I've been out of the work force for over 3.5 years now...slim chance of me making enough to pay the bills. He works for a company sub-contracted through GM...and we all know how poorly they're doing. We are on the cusp of the opportunity to buy our first home...and suddenly have our very first mortgage. Scary; I have a lot of thinking, reflecting, praying, and soul-searching to do. I guess at the end of the day, you just have to continue doing what's right, authentic, and of integrity and have faith that what's right, true, and just will come around. So hard having faith when you're a planner and all seems to be crazy.

((hugs)) ~J

Sara said...

I'm sorry to hear about this too! I really hope you don't have to face any of those plan B's. I'll be sending you my good energy.

Masasa said...

Ladies, your thoughts and prayers mean a great deal to me. Thank you for posting. Maude, I tried to post a comment on your blog but was unable to do so for some reason (?). But please know I am reading.